Sunday, January 9, 2022

Intercessory Prayer Among Friends

 1/6/2022

Prayer of Intercession

Dear Encouraging Sister,

    Here I am writing my loose, stray thoughts to you as we discussed I would do, just as Bonhoeffer wrote his not fully developed theological thoughts to his friend and confidant, Eberhart Bethke. In no way do I mean to imply that my thoughts could hold a candle to those of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a theologian of extraordinary courage and erudition. Simply put, you are my sounding board, a point of reception so I may again begin putting words onto paper and share them with others.

Each day I read a devotion featuring a thought from Bonhoeffer, my current focus of study and admiration. Here is a meditation from today's devotion. “And above all, we must not neglect the greatest service that is left to us, our faithful daily intercession.” (Ringma, Charles. Seize the Day -- with Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A 365 Day Devotional Designed for Influence (p. 17). The Navigators. Kindle Edition.)

Dear one, know that you and your loved ones are part of my daily intercession, along with many others dear to me. Prayer keeps me spiritually close to all of those for whom I regularly pray, those loved immensely and those who have wronged me.

During our recent discussion about prayer, you introduced the topic of preparing for prayer, prompting me to give that serious thought. Prior to intercessory prayer, I come before God with a loving image of the individual, group, or situation for whom I pray, even those considered enemies such as, The Proud Boys. Most often, I pray that God infuses that being or situation with love, holy purpose, grace, thanksgiving, and humility.

As a result of this devotion, I reached out to some of those for whom I regularly pray, and to a support group to which I belong asking prayers for myself. You see, I was feeling quite down and out from this being the second day of feeling unwell with overwhelming fatigue and stomach upset. This was a great blessing since today I received the spiritual support I needed so badly along with validation and affirmation. It prompts me to inquire why we do not ask for prayer more often than we do? Is it because expressing weakness is taboo? Is it because we do not consider ourselves worthy of additional prayer?

This is where I offer you prayer for healing and that your treatments prove to be successful. I also offer encouragement to do the same as I did today, reach out to me or others when you need an additional prayer boost. Reach out to others for intercessory prayer. While expressing weakness or need does make a person vulnerable, I don’t think that is a problem for you. Pray with me Sister that we are healed in mind, body, and soul.

 Your loving Sister,

Sr. Pam 



No comments:

Post a Comment