Friday, January 14, 2011

Prayer Corner

Tip #10 Have a Place for Prayer
Being an Anglican Dominican, each day I pray the Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer using the Book of Common Prayer. Sometimes, my mind wanders because of fatigue, distractions or just familiarity with the words. Therefore, I have two areas in my house designated for prayer that contain two objects that help me concentrate on prayer. These objects are simply a cross and a candle. When I find that my mind is wandering, I focus on these external reminders and follow the path into my heart. Of course, I do pray in other places and other times throughout the day. My prayer corners remind me that I am entering a special time and place purposefully for prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Sister Pam,

    This is wise counsel. Sometimes people misunderstand the use of religious art, liturgy, symbol, icons, candles, etc. as being expressions of dead ritual. In fact, at their best, they help us to focus on God when our minds, inevitiably, begin to wander. In a Lutheran Church I once served one of the other pastors use to suggest to people they have a prayer space in their house (for her it was a particular chair).

    Historically, Christians have had little prayer corners, family altars, or icons in their home.

    ReplyDelete