Monday, March 21, 2011

The Functional Home

Tip #22 Blending Function and Form

One of the problems of the way my home is organized is that sometimes I sacrificed function for form. The goal is to blend the two together for an uncluttered, attractive, practical home. Here are a few adjustments that I made to this end.

Paper work is my biggest struggle. For example, filling out Flex Forms for reimbursement used to mean hunting in the office filing cabinet for invoices, forms and insurance statements. Now, I keep all incomplete paperwork in a folder next to my cookbooks. Once the reimbursement comes through, the invoices and insurance statements are dated and filed. This has saved a lot of time and hassle.

My husband brings work home from the office frequently. Since we both enjoy working in the living room where are a large window looks over the lake, paperwork tends to collect and clutter. Since we do not have room for a desk in the living room I started to put various projects into folders and using the entertainment center as a sort of file cabinet. Only current projects are kept there. Everything else goes into the office filing cabinet.

It is a challenge to keep a small home organized and uncluttered. Being innovative and practical with one's space helps solve some of these problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment